Sunday, January 20, 2008

The avatar engine


For the past few days I have been working on several experiments. The one I am most proud of is the avatar engine. Actually, I have been thinking about how to make an engine in SL for quite some time. Finally, I realized that avatars can move things around, so they could be used to power a nice engine. To test this, I decided whether an avatar could be use to make a wheel turn. So I made a big hollow cyllinder and placed my avatar inside it. When my avatar walked, the cyllinder did not move. But as soon as I made my avatar run..lo and behold, the cyllinder began to turn with my avatar inside of it! What this means is that avatars can be used as a source of mechanical energy in SL, to power physical machines. Also, it leads to interesting questions about the amount of work an avatar can do, and if this amount of work is different for different avatars. I should be able to figure out the mass of an avatar.

1 comment:

Jean-Claude Bradley said...

Oh my - maybe you should turn your a avatar into a mouse. I'd be interested to see what my cat avatar would do with that :)

About Me

I am Assistant Professor at the University of Michigan College of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences